Bow Roof Shed
Then I went back to Lowe's and bought all the lumber and hardware I would need. I ended up ripping about (35) 16' 2x6s to get all the wood I would need to make 24 bows and the horizontal and diagonal strapping called for in the plans. The plans called for 2 1/2" galvanized deck screws and 1/4" bolts. Once I got going, it only took about 2 1/2 days to build all the bows.
After the concrete had set. I sharped the ends of the stakes on my chop saw. I drove the 3 1/2 foot long stakes about three feet into the ground and spaced four feet apart down each side where the sills would be. I wanted to make sure the top of the sill was level all the way around because the bows would be set on top of them. I went out one evening and used my laser level to mark where the top edge of each board would go on each stake and 4x4. The next day I clamped on the 2X6s (where the stakes and 4X4s were marked from the laser level) that would serve as the sills and then drilled and through-bolted them. Then I used my circle saw and saws-all to cut off the tops of the stakes and 4x4s that rose above the sills. The foundation was now compete.
Except for the first four bows, erecting them was fairly easy. I constructed a couple of "dead-men" to hold the first four bows in place and then, with my wife helping me, I clamped the ridge pole in place and screwed the bows into the ridge pole as specified in the plans. Like I said, the first four bows were difficult to line up and hold everything in place. Once that was done it was a simple matter of scabbing on each additional 2x6 to extend the ridge pole forward towards the bow and add supporting bows. To hold the end of the ridge pole in place I placed a vertical 2x6 on the deck of the boat, secured with lines to the stanchion bases, and then clamped the ridge pole in place until I could add the next series of bows. The picture to the right shows the end of the first day erecting the bows and depicts the vertical board extending the ridge pole.
With hurricane season approaching it will be interesting to see how it holds up. The Stimpson Marine website reports the shed withstanding winds up to 70 mph. I hope I don't have to find out if it can handle more than that.
The Bow Roof Shed Survives Hurricane Irene, 27 August 2011
I finished closing the boat up and taping over any remaining holes. I removed the vapor barrier because it had a lot of UV rot and was beginning to fall down. Also, the bows that held the vapor barrier in place were pretty flimsy and I wasn't sure they would survive the high wind shaking of the shed which I expect will be significant. What I want to avoid is the vapor barrier bows snapping and punching a hole through the plastic cover. I installed two guy lines from the top of the shed, one from each end, to steel engineer stakes I drove into the ground. The eye bolts are probably undersized but that is what I had. Maybe the lines will hold. I also rigged up two ratchet straps rated to 13,000 lbs--one over the front and one over the back of the boat. I hooked them into the steel screw anchors I installed yesterday. Hopefully the shed, and the Far Reach, will come through the storm. If not, I'll deal with whatever is required to get back on track.
The center of the eye came ashore at Cape Lookout which is about 30 miles east of here. The coast can be misleading here as we are on the Atlantic as well . . . the coast runs almost directly east. In fact, Cape look out is actually ESE of us. We never saw the eye as the west side remained just a little to the east of us. That pretty much put us in very strong winds the whole time to include a ride along the eye-wall. Amazingly, the shed came through without damage. There are a few holes in the top of the plastic next to the ridge pole but that was due to my own fault when I installed it more than two years ago. I normally have a vapor barrier rigged up on the inside to mitigate condensation that forms when the air is warm on the inside but cold on the outside. The vapor barrier also channels these minor leaks to the sides of the shed. For Irene I removed the vapor barrier in case the shed blew down. I have since installed a new one.
The water seen in the video on the ground mostly entered under the edge of the shed from the flooded yard. Some blew in through the cracks in the barn-style doors. The shed really impressed me. It flexed a lot but never gave any indication it would structurally fail. The UV resistant plastic held. We have heard from several sources that the wind speed hit 100 mph in our town but I have not been able to verify it. Nonetheless, it was pretty darn windy.