Extracting a Broken Bronze ScrewThe mission was to mortise three small bronze plates into the edge of the folding table top. The inserts are secured into the wood with 7/8" #8 bronze FH screws. Between the two FH's is a tapped hole for a 10-24 round head machine screw that secures the removable fiddle to the edge of the table top. I cut the 1/8" thick x 1/2" wide x 1" long plates from my bronze sheet stock and shaped them by filing, grinding, etc. It was nerve racking mortising out the small square for the bronze insert. But I got it done and it looked good. But, (oh how I hate those buts . . . .) when I went to install them, one of the screws broke off in the edge grain for the ash--very hard wood. Not good. John not happy. I have tools to remove stripped heads but not screws broken off below the surface of the wood. I went into the house, made some coffee, and searched the woodenboat forum (WoodenBoat is one of only two magazine I subscribe to with Practical Sailor being the other) and hidden in one of the threads was a great discussion about the very problem I was facing. I found a post by Peter Sibley of NSW Australia that described, with pictures, a technique for removing a broken screw. Other folks contributed to the discussion and I ended up kludging several techniques together. I used a split pin I had in a collection of loose bolts. I used a hacksaw to cut a notch in the end of the pin, chucked it into my drill and drilled down around the screw. I only had to go down about 7/8". Then, I used a tiny screwdriver to break off the wood column and fished it out with the screw embedded inside. I filled the hole with G Flex epoxy into which you can install a screw after it cures. Later today, I applied the second coat of varnish to one side of the table top.