Note: I added another page under the "Projects" page that should allow smart phone and iPad users to access the separate projects via hyperlinks. I don't know why but it seems that smart phones can't access the drop down menus.
My sister and I installed shelves under two of the three compartments that form the base for the double berth in the forward cabin. To keep the weight down, I used mahogany for the cleating stock and Juniper for the shelves. I understand that juniper has some anti fungal properties and it repels bugs. If nothing else, it smells great. We will only varnish the top and leave the underside bare to take advantage of its aromatic qualities. Below is a gallery of pictures for the installation. All pretty straight forward. I used the protractor off my Starett Combination Square to determine the angle of the hull and cut matching bevels on blocks that I epoxied to the hull to support the outboard edge of the shelves. This is the same method I used under the galley counter and in the lazarette to support the shelves there too. With the shelves installed the usability of the storage under the double berth is much improved. The juniper and mahogany construction is also very light weight. I'll eventually cut finger holes in the panels.
For the past two weeks we have been all about varnish work . . . as in work. We removed all the trim we installed early in July (80 pieces) and applied seven coats of varnish. We used our garage. I strung a larger overhead plastic barrier cloth over the work area to catch falling dust in the garage. Gayle and I sanded together then I went to the boat and she varnished. She is getting pretty good at it. I worked on the propane locker and other small chores. I installed wood plugs in the interior trim along the top and bottom of the cabin-sides. I also installed wood plugs in the trim for the deck hatches. When the trim we removed was varnished, it was time to tape off the interior trim and start the laborious process of sanding and applying six to seven coats of varnish. It's hot, tedious, and boring work inside the boat. We started with 120 to sand down the wood plugs after I trimmed them short with a chisel. Then we sanded with 180 and applied the first coat of Epifanes High Gloss varnish, thinned 50 percent with mineral spirits. Next we sanded with 220 and thinned the second coat 25 percent. We moved up to 320 sand paper and applied straight varnish. For exterior teak (the companionway trim) we sand with 150 through the whole process. Exterior varnish has a tough life and the more aggressive grit provides more "tooth" for the varnish to grab onto and make it a little more durable. Some people claim you can see the scratches but I can't see them. It's looks perfect to my eye. I thought we would apply the last coat today, but Gayle had business to attend to so I sanded by myself and it took over four hours. The, I had to vacuum and perform a mineral spirits wipe down. By then, I was soaked in sweat and was just too wore out to varnish. With this being perhaps the last coat, I wanted to be alert and rested so I would do a good job. I took my son to the local swimming pool and marveled his swimming skills and how much he has grown. Life is good even if the boat remains in the backyard. With luck, tomorrow will be the last coat.