Working in the forward cabin was a major PITA. I had to crawl in, out, and over the bulkheads. Eventually, I came up with a system that was not too difficult. I used my sliding bevel gauge to miter cut the ends which I did with a small inexpensive Japanese pull saw. I sealed the ends that I cut with some shellac and kept moving right along. I fit each piece, marked for the holes I needed to drill with an indelible pen, then drilled the holes, and installed it with #8 bronze oval head slotted screws. Nothing to it. Just tedious. I still needed to apply one more coat of tung oil to the ceiling for the galley and nav station area. I lightly sanded the pieces for the final coat. But, I hesitated. I was not happy with the tung oil finish in the forward cabin. It was OK, but just not that same luxurious look the original ceiling had. The weather cleared and was sunny and dry. The time was now. I moved the finishing tables out on our deck in the shade and whipped out some Epifanes High Gloss Varnish--the same stuff I have used every where else--and brushed on one unthinned coat over the 3 coats of Formbys Tung Oil Finish. Wow! Mo better. I left them to dry and went to work on the kero tank (see entry below). Today, I installed the varnished galley and nav station ceiling. Because there was very little curve to the hull where they were installed I was able to pre-cut to exact lengths before I applied the finish. So, it was just a matter of marking for holes, drilling and installed. Easy day. I added some additional insulation along the area at the top of the hull along the inward turning deck flange. I used very flexible closed cell foam that came in a 50' roll about 6" wide. My hope is it will provide a little insulation along the hull deck joint and keep the hardware fasteners from condensing water into the interior of the boat. Can't hurt and it was easy to install. The ceiling insulation is now complete except for the area along the hull above the sitz tub.
From there we camped in Maine at Camden Hills State Park (a superb park with lots of hiking trails and great views of West Penobscot bay) and Cobscook Bay State Park (big tides). We then crossed the border and camped a few days at Point Wolf in the Bay of Fundy National Park (huge tides). Then it was off to Grave's Island Provincial Park just north of Lunenburg. We finished off with four days of camping at Broad Cove in Cape Breton National Park which allowed us to explore the north part of NS. We had a great time. The kid's swam till their lips were blue--brrrr! We hiked the trails, sat around the camp fire, made s’mores, picked wild blackberries, made new friends, saw bald eagles, and generally relaxed.
At the moment, we are cleaning and drying out the camp gear, sorting through mail, and putting the kid's syllabus together for their fourth year of homeschool. I spent a little time on the Far Reach yesterday removing the heavy duty straps that I rigged before we left as hurricane protection. I'll spend some time today prepping tools and reconfiguring the SRF for what I hope to be the final year of work on the boat. We'll see. Regular posts should begin tomorrow.